WINTER FESTIVAL & RACE DETAILS
FESTIVAL STARTS @ 10:00 AM
BE SMART – BE WINTER WISE – DEMONSTRATION
CROKI-CURL RINKS OPEN
ICE FISHING ON CAMERON LAKE
THE FAMOUS LOCH BALSAM MONSTER
RACING STARTS @ 11:05 AM
If you need Snowshoes please email us and we will help you get equipment for the event
Race Date: Saturday, February 2, 2019
Start Times as follows:
11:00 am – Welcome Remarks/Briefing
11:05 am – 10K Ontario Provincial Championship Snowshoe Race
11:05 am – 5K Ontario Provincial Championship Snowshoe Race
11:15 am – 500 Meter (Elementary School Students) Snowshoe WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT!
11:30 am – 1K Family Woof Walk Snowshoe Event
12:30 pm – FAT Tire Biking 5K Course Open
Snowshoe event participants must display a Bib Number
Location: Cameron Lake at 1 Bond Street West, Fenelon Falls, Ontario, Canada K0M1N0
Students (Elementary School Age) 500 Meter WORLD RECORD
Adults (20+) and Juniors (14-19) 5k short course, 10k long course
Course: Start & Finish on Cameron Lake.
This is a chip timed event.
The participants depart form the Start Line heading north along the shore of Cameron Lake, to Victory Grove where they will follow the road east crossing the Kawartha Lakes Rail Trail. The participants will cross Louisa Street, entering a woodlot trail system and return back to the start finish line via Victory Grove and the Finish Line on Cameron lake.
Note: The 10k participants will repeat the entire course crossing the Start/Finish line on each loop.
The children’s race will start and finish on Cameron Lake. In early February, Cameron Lake is usually snow covered with typically 12 inches of ice. The thickness of the ice will be checked before the event, but 12 inches is very safe for outdoor activities.
Discounts available for all groups, please email the name and the size of the group.
A discount code will be emailed for the use of your group for pre-registration only.
Online Race registration will end Feb. 1st at 11:59pm. Please go to the registration page on this site to Register.
Race Participant Swag:
All participants will receive a bib #, post race refreshments and a ticket to win draw prizes.
The overall male and female winners of the 5k and 10k events will receive a cash award and the winners will have their names engraved on the Snowshoe Kawartha annual trophy.
Medals to top 3 for the 5k and 10k event. With the top M/F Winners sharing the $500 Grand Prize
Recognition and Awards to the top M/F Athlete 10-19, 20-39, 40-59, 60+
A limited number of rental snowshoes will be available on race morning.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that you need rentals after you register on line.
Quantity is limited, snowshoes will be supplied on a first come first served basis.
Early February can be a wide range of temperatures. Prepare for cold and bring several layers of breathable fabric to wear during the race. Bring a toque, gloves and warm socks. Bring a complete change of clothing for after the race as your race clothing will be cold and wet from sweat. Changing facilities will be available.
The cut off temperature will be -20c with wind chill. If it is colder than that we will delay the start until it warms up our shorten the race to reduce exposure to the elements. In extreme cold we may choose to cancel the race. The decision will be made by the race director and the local EMS on the morning of the race.
If the weather is extremely warm, we will alter the course and worst case turn the event into a cross country run or hike. Bring running shoes with you in the event of very mild weather and no snow.
Race Participant Pre-Race Preparation:
Snowshoe racing is a vigorous outdoor winter activity. You should be physically fit and be able to engage in an outdoor activity for 1 to 2 hours. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather of the day.
We advise you to train for the effort you plan to sustain, do a considerable amount running and/or snowshoeing in advance of the event to prepare.
If you are a beginner and not accustomed to this activity you should consult your doctor before signing up.
Snowshoe Canada Racing Rules
- Snowshoes worn in any sanctioned Snowshoe Canada event must be designed to meet or exceed 120 square inches (774.192 square centimeters) of functional surface area and can be no smaller than 7 inches (17.78 centimeters) wide by 21 inches long (53.34 centimeters).
- Correct race distance and type (packed or virgin) course must be advertised. Updated trail conditions should be posted 24 hours before the event. The 10K course race distance should be at least 8 km, but not longer than 10 km. The 5K short course should be at least 4 km but no longer then 5 km.
- Flags must clearly mark the course trail. As one stands beside a flag marker, the next flag must be visible. Only one colour can be used to mark the course (another colour may be used to mark off any intersections or to block off trails not in use). Arrows can be used at intersections to indicate which direction to go instead of using a second colour flag.
- Trails, whether packed or virgin, must be clear of trees, branches and debris. They must be wide enough to allow passing by other competitors.
- Course marshals shall be placed in designated spots along the trail to direct competitors.
- Coaches and spectators must remain in the designated viewing areas only and must stay off trail.
- Mass starts will be at the race director or technical delegate discretion. (In the event of over crowding the race start, a Male and Female wave may be decided)
- Snowshoes must be completely behind the start line.
- Race bib numbers must be worn on the front of each competitor and be visible at all times. Timing will be done electronically and manually. Bib numbers and time will be recorded manually in the event of an electronic failure.
- Snowshoes must be firmly attached throughout the entire snowshoe race course. In the event a competitor loses a snowshoe, he/she must step off course and reattach the snowshoe in order to finish the race.
- Racers will be given a 10 minute before race start warning, followed by a 5 minute warning to race start and every minute afterward. The timer will start the race with 30 second till start, 10 second, 5…4…3…2…1 START! For large groups, an air horn may be used.
- Disqualifications: An athlete may be disqualified if He/She interferes with another athlete purposely (stepping on the back of snowshoes, bumping, pushing). In the event that an athlete takes a wrong turn and goes off course, he/she must return to the exact point they went off course to continue or else be disqualified.
- An athlete must retire from competition immediately if ordered by a member of the appointed medical staff or race director.
- It is a requirement that at least one first aid trained volunteer/paid staff be available for any medical emergencies on the race site.
- The start line must be a minimum of 5 meters wide and continue to be at least the same width for at least the first 200 meters of the race before narrowing into single track trail. It is recommended that this first section of the course be groomed, not only to sort the field out, but also for safety.
- The trail must be a minimum of 5 meters wide for the final 50 meters to allow for passing right to the finish line
- It is recommended that passing lanes be available or that the trail widens from single track at least every 2 km to allow for passing.
Fat Tire Bikes
Spokes for Folks will be set up at the base of Bond Street, beside the Start Finish Area, scheduled for a 10:00 AM opening.
Snowshoes available for rental:
Faber North Lander 8×25
Faber North Lander 9×29
Faber North Lander 10×34
Faber North Cliff 8×25
Faber North Cliff 9×29
Faber White Lander (Women’s) 7×22
Faber White Lander (Women’s) 7×26
GV Nyflex Kid 6×16
Cost will be $10/h for rentals.
We will also be bringing snowshoes to sell, see below for model and pricing:
Faber North Lander 8×25- $130.00
Faber North Lander 9×29- $145.00
Faber North Lander 10×34- $145.00
Faber North Cliff 8×25- $165.00
Faber North Cliff 9×29- $185.00
Faber North Cliff 10×34- $185.00
Faber White Lander (Women’s) 7×22- $130.00
Faber White Lander (Women’s) 7×26- $130.00
Faber North Kid 7×18- $75.00